Brazil


When I was 17 some friends asked me for movie recommendations, I said I don't know but DONT GET OUT BRAZIL. Somehow they heard this as get out Brazil it's the best movie I've ever seen and like me couldn't watch it all because it's long and boring and they ended up thinking I have terrible taste.

15 years later I thought I'd give it another go....

It is still too long but entertaining enough. A satire on our bureaucratic, youth obsessed society. Civil servant Sam Lowry attempts to correct a paperwork error that sees a Mr Buttle being arrested instead of  Mr Tuttle (an out of place Robert De Niro as a freelance terrorist air conditioner repairman) and ends up becoming an enemy of the state along the way.

Some great buildings and nice design ideas are let down by some shonky effects.

Great scene where Sam attends a funeral for the friend of his plastic surgery obsessed mother. The body has been so destroyed by surgery that the coffin is all that's holding it together and when Sam opens it the body flows out into a meaty puddle of guts (this is much funnier than it sounds)

NO - visually interesting but I'm still saying don't get it out.