Clownhouse

I'm working through Sam Rockwell's filmography which led me to Clownhouse, his first feature.  It's a late eighties slasher that's not especially scary unless you share the youngest brothers fear of clowns or unless you know the director is a convicted pedophile.

With their parents away Sam is left to look after his younger brothers. They go to the circus where after the show, 3 insane asylum escapees murder the real clowns, dress up in their costumes and head off into the night.

Three guesses as to where they end up.

There's no gore just a lot of he's right behind you! which is surprisingly effective. The clowns don't speak which is a nice touch but they don't look especially demented either - they just needed to be scarier, not pennywise scary just more unhinged.

NO - after having watched this film I found out that the director Victor Salva, molested the 12 year old actor who played the youngest brother. This makes it hard to recommend the film even though I enjoyed watching it. It's something I'm conflicted about. I believe art can be separated from the individual but I don't believe a person should be allowed to work in an environment that exacerbates their deviance.