You, the Living

All the reviews I've read about this are glowing and a friend that I respect the opinion of loves it and bought it on dvd. I also heard this was hilarious - really? was I watching the same movie as these people?

It's weird watching a film made by someone who hates you but this is the feeling I got watching this. Every character in this film is living a relatively safe kind of life and goes about their day to day business of creeping along in traffic, having unrequitable crushes, buying the right rug, taking their pet's for a drag and attending ridiculous formal dinners.

It's trivial, banal stuff but that's exisistance. We ignore the fact we are going to die and piss around buying  jeans and watching screens.

I found it slow going and I didn't enjoy spending time with any of these people.

The surreal climax featuring a phalanx of planes flying over the city is a fitting ending. Are these mysterious planes flying a reconnaissance or are they a bombing raid? Nothing like a bit of crisis to make one realise what's actually important and start appreciating our 80 (give or take) years of living.

NO - Nice colour palette and clean scenes but too pretentious.